Facts About Veterans Day 2022: Veterans are the ones who are an expert in a field and have served in that field for many years. Military veterans are those who have served the military and are no longer in the military. Veterans spend the precious years of their youth serving their country. They remain away from their families.
They risk their lives and go through uncountable hardships. A day is specified for paying tribute to all the veterans, especially the Military veterans in the United States.
Following are the facts about veterans day:
23 Facts About Veterans Day 2022
- World war 1 ended in 1919. The Allies and Germany signed the Armistice which resulted at the end of the war. The Armistice happened on November 11, 1919. This day was named Armistice day.
- Although World War 1 ended on November 11, 1919, the official ending of the war occurred on June 28, 1919, upon signing the Treaty of Versailles.
- In 1968, Congress signed a bill that declared Veterans Day as a holiday.
- Veterans day was moved to October after the signing of the bill.
- It was moved back to November in 1978.
- In 1954, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
What Was Veterans Day Originally Called
- Veterans day was called Armistice Day originally.
- Veterans day is also called the anniversary of the end of World War 1.
How Other Countries Observe Veterans Day
- Countries other than the United States also celebrate Veterans day as the Armistice was between the Allies and Germany.
- Veterans day is called “Remembrance Day” in Great Britain.
- The Britains observe the silence of two minutes in London. This is to pay tribute to the martyrs of the war.
- The Australian citizens wear red poppy flowers on veterans day for paying tribute to the martyrs of World War 1.
- Canadians also observe Remembrance Day.
Veterans Day Vs Memorial Day Facts
- Veterans day is for all those people who served the country in times of both war and peace. It is also a dedication to both dead or alive who served the country.
- It is primarily dedicated to those who died in World War 1.
- Memorial Day is dedicated to all those who lost their lives in wars or fighting in wars.
- Veterans day is for all people who belonged to the United States Army and fought for the country. They could be from any of the six branches of the U.S. Army. Following are the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces:
- S. Navy
- S. Coast guards
- S. Marine corps
- S. Air Force
- S. Army
- S. Space Force
- There were 2 million veterans who served during the Korean War.
- The number of veterans who served in peacetime was 6 million.
- There were over 17.42 million veterans in the United States in 2019. Out of these, 15.78 million were male, while 1.64 million were female veterans.
- California contains the highest number of living veterans.
- Alaska shares the highest percentage of veterans, i.e. 10.7%.
- In 2019, the highest number of veterans was between the ages of 65 to 74. The number of males was 4,335,954, and those of females were 207845.